Howdy! Long time, no blog! How the heck are ya?
Just a quick post about the first day of the festival in case I don’t remember later which bands we saw.
- Benevento Russo Duo – hadn’t heard of these guys but they were pretty good
- Asleep at the Wheel – stayed in the shade of the wine tent for these guys, but they sounded great
- Ted Leo + the Pharmacists – not as good as I was expecting, but still ok .. seemed like the heat was getting to Ted. They did play “Me and Mia”, which was nifty.
- deadboy and the Elephantmen – another band I’d never heard before that turned out to be really cool
- Stars – we just kinda hung out in the shade for this one too, but
- Gnarls Barkley – sounded good, but things were so crowded by this point that it was hard to see much
- Gomez – sounded alright, again from the shade of the trees, next to the VH1 “Confessional Booth”
- Sara Hickman – cute stuff at the kiddy stage .. some song about Radiation Man, and Iolana and here llama, but I think we missed the Cantalope song
- Thievery Corporation – different that what I expected, but really cool .. very eastern sounding with the sitar and stuff. The only song I’d heard previously was Lebanese Blonde, but the rest of their stuff was great too. Also, it’s apparently pronounced Teevery Corporation (ya mon!) 😉
- Van Morrison – good stuff, but we were pretty tired by this point .. I didn’t stand up so I didn’t see much, but they sounded great
It was hot. I almost know how it feels to be a whelk in a supernova. Some rain would be great, but it keeps raining at our house up north but not on Zilker Park. Also, I’m apparently not so good at applying sunscreen — I got sunburned on my left hand (minus the wristband), my knees, and the back of my right leg (?!).
Hot and crunchy chicken cones from Hudson’s on the Bend were tasty. Also popcorn from Children of the Kettle Corn.
Today: The Shins, Calexico, Iron and Wine, Explosions in the Sky, Willie Nelson, Massive Attack, Nada Surf, I Love You But I’ve Chosen Darkness, and more sunscreen and liquids